It’s not surprising if you choose Bermuda grass for your yard: it’s suitable for droughts and heat, it’s super-resistant and, moreover, it’s often used for sports fields. However, whichever conditions you have, it’s impossible to achieve a good looking lawn without fertilizers. They contain a lot of nutrients like calcium, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium in different amounts.
These are the elements that help the grass to grow, but in time they stop being naturally produced in soil, which results in bleak, weak, and patchy lawn. In such cases, you have to use fertilizers. Which ones are the best? This review will help you make up your mind and choose the most efficient and easy to use fertilizer.
Bermuda Grass and the best fertilizers for it
|LawnStar Liquid Fertilizer||
|Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food||
|Simple Lawn Solutions Lawn Food||
|Super Juice Lawn Fertilizer||
|Safer Brand Ringer Lawn Restore||
LawnStar Liquid Fertilizer – with the addition of seaweed extract for a stable lawn progress
Lawn Star Premium 16-4-8 is the best complex fertilizer for the intensive growth of Bermuda grass. It stimulates the development of strong roots and positively affects plants and soil overall. The fertilizer’s unique formula with the addition of algae improves the absorption of nutrients, activates natural defense against pests, diseases, and bad weather. This product delivers the micro-elements directly to the grassroots. Besides, it’s totally safe for pets and children.
LawnStar Liquid Fertilizer benefits:
- Provides healing effect on the existing lawn;
- Macronutrients (especially the increased quantity of nitrogen and seaweed) help the grass grow faster and dissolve in the soil gradually;
- Ensures dense grass cover;
- Good for proper root development;
- Comes ready to use;
- Can be applied for all grass types;
- Suitable for usage with dripping irrigation systems;
- A hose nozzle is included in the package.
Also is has some disadvantages:
- they can easily be washed out of the soil during rains. And there is always a risk to choose the wrong proportion and to add more fertilizer than needed.
Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food – Fertilizer to support just planted lawn
If the lawn is just planted, we would recommend choosing Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food. It is created for giving the maximum nutrition to young grass. However, the old grass can also benefit from it. A high quantity of nitrogen in its formula ensures fast lawn growth.
Advantages of Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food:
- It helps if there are bald spots on a greensward. The ratio of nutrients 24-25-4 completely provides grass with the useful elements. It makes stems 70% thicker and 35% higher.
- One pack is enough to treat 5 acres.
- It provides a fast and dense growth of grass.
- Not harmful to pets.
Starter fertilizers also have some disadvantages:
- They’re rich in nutrients and it creates favorable conditions for weed growth. Therefore, it is important to carefully prepare the soil for planting, as well as get rid of extra weed.
- Not recommended for thick lawns.
Simple Lawn Solutions Lawn Food – for long-term Bermuda grass growth
This fertilizer is perfect for those who actually like to spend time in their yard and consider it more than just a decorative part. Simple Lawn Solutions 16-4-8 was created to help the grass restore quickly in warm seasons. Its formula ensures rapid lawn growth and provides enough energy to feed grassroots. Water the grass regularly to help nutrients absorb.
Simple Lawn pros:
- Includes fish and useful seaweed, which is a rare find.
- Balanced formula.
- Easy to apply.
- Suitable for all lawn types.
Almost no disadvantages:
- Like other liquid ones, it’s easily washed out of the soil during the rains.
Super Juice Lawn Fertilizer — for a grassplot with an even covering
Super Juice Fertilizer is a good choice to use in a large area. Though being considered a liquid one, it’s actually sold as a dry mix. Just dilute it with water and spray on the grass.
Use a standard quantity of water for 0.5 hectares (50 acres) or take twice more water for 1 hectare (100 acres) and the same quantity of a mix.
Super Juice Fertilizer advantages:
- The complex with balanced formula additionally improved with 4% iron.
- High-quality ingredients.
- Can be applied only twice per season.
Also is has some disadvantages:
- The fertilizer is best used when the soil has a lack of iron. Be careful not to oversupply the soil with iron since it may increase the rot.
Safer Brand Ringer Lawn Restore — fertilizer for optimal development of your greensward on any soil type
Fertilizer Ringer Lawn Restore is developed to make sure any lawn and any soil type are in their best state. You will see your grass getting a bright green color and growing thicker in just one week!
Benefits of Ringer Lawn Restore:
- The exact formula of macronutrients 10-0-6 is optimal for sustainable growth.
- This mix supports the development of a healthy ecosystem.
- One package is enough for 5 acres.
- Suitable for warm and cold seasons.
Why choosing Bermuda grass?
This grass was created specifically for sports lawns. It can restore and grow faster than other grasses, despite intensive use. It is perfect for the seaside and warm climate.
Do I need to fertilize my lawn?
Fertilizers help to make the greensward denser. Well-fed plants are not only better looking but also resistant to diseases and potential pests. Fertilizers are also necessary in the area where the soil doesn’t have enough nutrition.
What is the best type of fertilizer for Bermuda grass?
The best fertilizer type for it is a complex one. The mix usually includes nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. It supports the development of the herbal’s roots and is involved in photosynthesis. The ratio of these 3 elements depends on the age of grass, a growing purpose, and a soil type. The review below shows the properly chosen five of them.
What is the best type of fertilizer for Bermuda grass in Texas?
It doesn’t matter which state the Bermuda grass is located in – Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, or Arizona. When choosing the fertilizer the most important parameters are grass type, density, and age, not the region. It’s also necessary to know how much nutrients are needed. Measure the content of nutrients. The best fertilizer for lawn should provide a lot of nitrogen, which is especially crucial for Bermuda grass.
What fertilizer is suitable for each season?
The best fertilizer for a new lawn in spring is Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food. If you have hulled Bermuda grass, then this fertilizer accelerates its growth. It’s very convenient since seeds are planted at a rate of 12 lb. per 1000 square feet. The best choice for summer is Simple Lawn Solutions or LawnStar Premium. They support grass growth.
Use Simple Lawn Solutions or other fertilizes between April and September. They can provide nutrients for warm-season grass such as Bermuda or Zoysiagrass.
All fertilizers presented in the article are complex, but the amount of macro- and microelements, and, therefore, usage, differs. Use LawnStar Premium and Simple Lawn Solutions for a perennial lawn or where weed growth needs to be suppressed. Apply Scotts Turf Builder Starter to a new, just planted lawn. Use Super Juice Lawn Fertilizer and Ringer Lawn Restore where the grass needs to be slightly improved.
The fertilizers are applicable for warm-season grass. They bring maximum benefits to lawns in spring and summer. Also, fertilizers with organic nutritions can be used in autumn. They increase the resistance of plants to diseases and cold climates.